My standard development environment for native Android development has
been Vim and Ant.
Today I finally took the plunge and got started with Android Studio
I ported in ZipZipBooks, which is my mobile record keeping application
for HMRC with a view to giving at a bit of a refresh. Didn't take too
long to get it up and running on AS.
- The code for the existing project is in a Mercrurial repository. My
first attempt to import the project, I went down the "Check out the
project from version control" route, and chose Mercurial.
Unfortunately this did not play niceley with Gradle. Instead, I found
that I could instead start with the "Import Project" route. That
allowed AS to convert my Ant build to Gradle.
- Adding library dependencies for which this
answer was very
- I might need to get a faster/bigger/hotter/noisier laptop.
- Running on Windows 8, there was no need to update any drivers for the
physical Android devices on which I performed testing.